EUGENE, Ore. – The Oregon men’s tennis team beat the No. 21 ranked Pepperdine Waves today in Eugene. The decisive point came when Joshua Charlton defeated No. 9 ranked Daniel De Jonge 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 6-3 to give the Ducks the 4-3 win.
“The boys really deserved this one,” said head coach Nils Schyllander. “They battled so hard the entire weekend and went after it with the match on the line. I’m so proud of this group.”
Oregon’s top doubles team of Charlton and Quinn Vandecasteele remained undefeated in the spring and showed why they’re ranked No. 15 in the country, defeating Vasa/Summaria 6-2. Ivailo Keremedchiev and Jesper-Klov-Nilsson picked up the second win 7-5 to give Oregon the doubles point. The third doubles match would go unfinished, but Luke Vandecasteele and Ryoma Matsushita were up 6-5 when the point was decided.
Klov-Nilsson got the second critical point of the day for the Ducks, when he defeated No. 32 ranked Andrew Rogers 6-3, 6-4. Luke Vandecasteele won his second singles match in a row for a huge third point for the Ducks, defeating Eero Vasa 6-2, 7-5.
The moment of the match came from Charlton, when he battled back against the No. 9 ranked player in the country. Charlton dropped a tight first set but would come back strong with consecutive 6-3 sets to win the match for the Ducks.
Oregon 4, #21 Pepperdine 3
1. Joshua Charlton (ORE) def. De Jonge, Daniel (PEPPM) 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 6-3
2. Zeitvogel, Tim (PEPPM) def. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) 6-3, 6-3
3. Fellin, Pietro (PEPPM) def. Ivailo Keremedchiev (ORE) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jesper Klov-Nilsson (ORE) def. Rogers, Andrew (PEPPM) 6-3, 6-4
5. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) def. Vasa, Eero (PEPPM) 6-2, 7-5
6. Summaria, Corrado (PEPPM) def. Ryoma Matsushita (ORE) 6-1, 7-6 (12-10)
1. Joshua Charlton/Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) def. Vasa, Eero/Summaria, Corrado (PEPPM) 6-2
2. Ivailo Keremedchiev/Jesper Klov-Nilsson (ORE) def. Rogers, Andrew/De Jonge, Daniel (PEPPM) 7-5
3. Luke Vandecasteele/Ryoma Matsushita (ORE) def. Fellin, Pietro/Zeitvogel, Tim (PEPPM) 6-5
Pepperdine 3-4; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,3,4,5,6,1)
– www.GoDucks.com –